After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the airfield was constructed on its present site as a military flight-training base. Known then as Pinellas Army Airfield, the airport was a base for the 304th Fighter Squadron, a combat training unit of the 337th
Fighter Group (Third Army Air Force). It based P-40s and, later, P-51s for the duration of World War II.
A permanent exhibit commemorating the airport's place in history is located in the terminal and dedicated to Brigadier General James H. Howard, the only European Theater fighter pilot to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in WWII and the last
wartime base commander of Pinellas Army Airfield.
Following WWII, the U.S. Government gave the airport property to Pinellas County to operate as a commercial airport. It was originally called the Pinellas International Airport and given the airport call letters, PIE. The original terminal building was
dedicated in 1957 and the following year the airport was renamed St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport to capitalize on recognition as a tourism destination. In 2013, we rebranded and shortened our name to St. Pete-Clearwater International
Airport and adopted a new logo.