Required Information for St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport per State of Florida House Bill 915 (Florida State Statute 332.0075 - Commercial service airports; transparency and accountability; penalty)
In March 1941, construction started for the St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport at its present site. After Pearl Harbor, the Airport, known as Pinellas Army Airfield, was used as a military flight-training base. After World War II, many army airfields
were declared surplus and turned over to cities, counties, and state sponsors to manage. The Pinellas Army Airfield property was granted to Pinellas County in 1946 by the U.S. Government to operate as a commercial airport. It was originally called
the Pinellas International Airport, and given the airport call letters, PIE.
The Airport Revenue and Operating Fund is an enterprise fund that accounts for all revenues and expenditures at the Airport. This includes management of passenger and cargo airline operations, military, and general aviation, along with commercial and
industrial airport property. The Airport is entirely self-supporting, meaning that no property tax dollars are used to support the operation of the airport.
PIE is a department of Pinellas County Government and follows all Pinellas County Government policies and procedures.